How Do You Apply Dip Powder For Nails?
Applying Dip Powder
What is dip powder? If you’re unfamiliar with them, they’re exactly as they sound, it’s a powder you dip your nails into. They’re a very natural-looking manicure alternative that will last weeks on end and doesn’t require any UV/LED lamps.
Although it sounds quite simple, DIY dip powder for nails at home will require some time and patience. But, fear not! Top nails brands such as SNS or Kiara Sky have actually created meticulous at-home dip powder nail kits for all those wanting to give it a go on their own with all the essential products so you can be confident with the appropriate instructions and right products. So, what are the steps and how does it get applied?
How to use dipping powder on nails:
- Start off by prepping your nails, this means removing any oils on your nails with acetone, so bacteria doesn’t get trapped in the process.
- Then, you want to buff out any rugged edges on your nails and start shaping them however you like. Make sure to push back the cuticles. You can choose to shape them in the beginning or at the end of the process, whichever you find easier.
- Once you’ve got your nails cleaned and shaped, evenly apply a nail primer or bonder.
- Then, leaving a small gap from your cuticles, apply a layer of base polish to your nails.
- After you’ve applied your base, it’s time for the fun part! Quickly dip your nail into the powder at a 45-degree angle, then lightly dust off any excess powder. Repeat the process two more times, applying a base coat then dipping your nail, this will really help secure your manicure.
- The next step is applying coats of activator and sealer to solidify the mixture and ensure your manicure lasts. Apply two coats of activator, waiting for them to dry for around 3 minutes before applying a coat of sealer.
- Once your sealer dries, you can finally move onto your topcoat polish.
Voila! You now have yourself a set of new gorgeous dip powder nails that’ll last weeks!
Dip powders can be really complicated if you’re not using the right products or skipping steps in the process. Make sure to double-check the products you’re using, avoiding those that contain harmful chemicals. You can double-check online or even one of our friendly staff. If you’re using an at-home kit remember to read the provided instructions thoroughly as each dipping system may vary.
If you’re still a bit hesitant to apply your own DIY dip powder nails at home, you can always get your first manicure set at a trusted nail salon, where you can watch how the nail technicians do it. After you get a feel for it, you might be more confident to experiment at home.
Shop online at Diamond Nail Supplies or visit us in-store for all your nail & beauty supplies.